Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year

Happy New Year!
For my New Year blog, I want to comment on a film I watched last night. It is titled "God Grew Tired Of Us". It is a National Geographic documentary, but even those who are not interested in such a thing would probably find this film worth it.

It focuses on three young men, part of the "Lost Boys" of Sudan. When Sudan broke out in civil war, these three men (who were at the time boys 13 and younger) traveled over a thousand miles with thousands of other boys to safety. To make a long story short, they ended up in a refugee camp in Kenya. In the late 90's (I think) the United States brought some of these men to the U.S. They provided them with a place to live, social security numbers and work Visas. Their introduction to our way of life was what was the most touching. They had to be shown how to flip a light switch, since they had never before used electricity, and even how the toilet works. I will not go into any more detail, because I encourage each of you to rent this movie and see it for yourselves.

It has really made me stop and think and realize there are people out there who have it much harder than I do; much harder than most Americans. So, while you are making a mental note of your new year's resolutions, try remembering that some people in this world would love to have your problems. I know I certainly am! In fact, I feel deeply ashamed of the petty nonsense that get me so frustrated and out of sorts. As a result, my resolution list has changed and become what I would like to consider more meaningful.

No comments: