Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Beauty’s Dental Dilemma

thumbnail

              image credit

 

Beauty lost a crown over the weekend.  Actually, we think she pulled it off cause she’s been picking at it for some time.  We figured it was a sensory thing.  Anyway, she went to the dentist today with the goal of replacing the crown.  Turns out, the tooth has abscessed. 

She is only willing to cooperate for 20 minutes, and since the last time they tried sedation she did NOT fall asleep, off to outpatient surgery she must go.  I’ve been trying to avoid this, hoping she would mature enough to allow the dentist to do his thing in the office, but we cannot wait any longer.  Poor dear has too many dental problems. 

It is no wonder.  She has mouthed EVERYTHING since she first began teething and the enamel has taken a beating, to say the least.  Furthermore, once she lost her first baby tooth, she has taken to picking at her teeth.  The hygienist said she suspects the picking will stop once her dental problems are corrected.  

I try not to blame myself, though I cannot help but think “could I do more?”.  I don’t know.  I mean, I brush her teeth as best as she’ll allow me after breakfast every day. At night she rinses in Listerine, I brush her teeth, then she rinses in ACT Fluoride.  It hasn’t been enough to counter bad genes and all the wear-n-tear they have to endure. 

Well-you do what you have to do, right?  The dentist says once her mouth stops hurting (something she never complains of, but it MUST hurt), she’ll be a whole new child.  Poor dear.  I can’t imagine the pain she must be feeling….silently.  It breaks my heart.

No comments: