Friday, April 8, 2011

A foul smell and not knowing my fridge

The Hubs and I noticed a foul smell emanating from our fridge today.  After checking all its contents, Hubs was convinced it was the Tyson chicken tenders in the crisper.  I wasn't so sure, since it had never been opened and had not yet reached its "Sell By" date.  But, knowing he'd never eat the chicken now that he'd convinced himself it was bad, I threw it out.  The smell remained. 

I mentioned this to my mom a few minutes ago while we were chatting over the phone and she told me to check the drain pan.  The what?  How many of you knew that there is a drain pan under your refrigerator?  Pull off the vent under the door and there it is.  Mine is located on the right.  Am I the only one who never knew about this?  I know to clean behind the refrigerator obviously, and since I just "spring cleaned" my kitchen yesterday, I couldn't figure out the smell.  I've been married 8 1/2 years and never knew about the drain pan.  I mean, the fact there is one seems obvious to me now, but still. 

I was not about to take a picture of it to post here.  It was beyond disgusting, as you can imagine, since I never ever cleaned it.  Don't worry, it has now been washed in warm water (per the directions written on the pan itself) as well as Cloroxed.  YUCK!

Don't laugh. :)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi! Well I think I knew that there was a drain pan once upon a time, but I also have never cleaned mine or even seen it. Way to go for your mom though! Did that take care of the smell? Maybe I will try to find mine and clean it!

Kris said...

I won't laugh because I didn't know there was a drainpan under your fridge either! So glad you figured out the source of the odor though. When something smells bad, it drives me nuts until I can figure out where it is coming from. Now, to remind myself to have Adam help me when he comes home this weekend and see about finding our drainpan.

Marcia said...

Glad to know I am not the only one! LOL!

FYI: I haven't noticed the smell since. :)