Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wasp sting

I was stung by a wasp this evening. OUCH!!!! I haven't been stung by a wasp since I was a kid. It was my left middle finger and now my hand is swollen and is very itchy. In fact, my entire left arm feels itchy.

I googled some natural remedies since I can't exactly take Benadryl this early before bedtime. Here's what I found on Home Remedies For You:

Washing the affected area with cold water and a mild antiseptic soap and then drying it gently with a towel, is one of the most effective first aid measures that a person can take. In the case of a wasp sting, removing the sting from the skin is essential. For this, rub the area with a coarse material, such as a towel, to help to dislodge the sting. Using a blunt butter knife on your skin in the direction opposite to that of the sting entry will remove the sting. Once the sting has been dislodged, place a cold compress on the skin for 15-20 minutes to reduce the inflammation and soreness. The cold compress also reduces the pain by making the region numb. For this, placing a few cubes of ice in a towel is sufficient. Avoid using ice directly on the skin as it may cause further damage to the skin.

Vinegar is a well-known remedy for treating wasp stings due to its acidic nature. Pressing a cotton swab soaked in apple cider vinegar against the area injured by the sting until the pain disappears is an effective home remedy as it counteracts the venom. A few drops of vinegar or lemon juice sprinkled on the wound will also neutralize the effect of the venom left behind by the sting. A paste of vinegar and baking soda, applied on the affected area is known to reduce the discomfort caused by wasp stings. Besides vinegar, there are a number of other natural remedies for wasp sting treatment. Rubbing olive oil on the area affected by the sting reduces the pain and quickens the healing process of the wound. Aloe vera gel applied liberally to the wound also assists the healing process. Applying crushed garlic or onion juice to the affected area gently helps to draw out the pain. A cucumber slice placed on the wound is also known to reduce the pain caused by a sting.

I have dabbed it with the apple cider vinegar and may apply a peroxide/baking soda paste later.

Do any of my readers have any recommendations on what to do with a bee/wasp sting?

4 comments:

Amy said...

Oh no! That does look painful. I know this sounds crazy, but my great aunt would often put oatmeal on things like this and it seemed to alleviate some of the pain at least. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Marcia said...

Thanks Amy! It is itchy, swollen and painful still, but better from last night. :)

LeAnn said...

I hope it is feeling better. I actually like the suggestions for the care of the sting. It is important to get the stinger out. Watch it close because if it continues to swell and reddness goes up the arm you ned to see a physician.
Vingar is amazing because of all the things it can help with.
Blessings to you for a better day.
Thanks for your comments on my post recently.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for using the time and effort to write something so interesting.

My site:
rachat credit meilleur taux www.rachatdecredit.net