Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Guarding Our Stewardship Series-a back story

The following is a part of our Guarding Our Stewardship Series.

O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:

21Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. 1 Tim. 6:20-21

 

This series is coinciding with my second tour of The Truth Project.(If you have not yet participated in this life-changing study I highly encourage you to do so….NOW!)  The first time I completed this tour, my life was turned upside down.  In a good way.  In a fantastic way.  It is when I first entered what I refer to as my “cocoon stage”.  Quite simply, I fully surrendered to God my mind, and my life, so He may shape me into the woman He has purposed me to be.  

While under going my second tour, I continue to be amazed at how “secular” my worldview and overall mindset was, even while professing to be a Christian.  At the age of eleven I acknowledged my sinful condition and my need for Christ as my Savior, and I thought I had made Him my Lord, but I realize now that so much of my “beliefs” were indeed secular and nonbiblical.  Somehow I had missed it.  After all, my morals were good, I attended services, prayed and tried to “be” like Jesus.  BUT I FAILED TO THINK LIKE HIM.  We need to change our mantra from “What Would Jesus Do” to “What Does the Bible Say”.  They are very similar I know, after all Jesus is the Word, but still slightly different. 

JESUS IS LORD and WE NEED TO ACT LIKE IT.  A major question we are encouraged to ask ourselves while touring the Truth Project is: “Do you really believe that what you believe is really real?”  Upon honestly pondering this question, I found that so much of my life did NOT reflect that I truly believed what I believed.  I was not being a good steward of the truth.  I suspect many good-intentioned Christians today have the same problem.  Like me, they just never give much thought to what their actions actually reflect about their beliefs. If we truly believed the Word of God, would we do what we do, worry about what we find stressful, engage in certain activities, watch certain t.v. shows….?

I do know this: God inspired Paul to write Romans 12: 2 for a reason.

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

How many times have I read over this verse and wonder, “How do I renew my mind?”.  Praise God, I think I am starting to get it.  God is teaching me how to view everything through a Biblical lens, testing everything against the Scriptures, against the Truth.  That is what I hope to accomplish in this series:  to expose the lies that surround us so we may guard the Truth and protect our families. 

In the next post, I will discuss a major conduit through which a great lie travels and how it has consumed the Western world, including modern Christianity.

No comments: