Thursday, February 3, 2011

Early Training

My sweet little boy whom I adore is already putting my discipline techniques to the test!  Well for a couple months now, I have had to begin training him that mama means "no" when she says "no".  :)

I am all about him exploring and discovering, that's how he'll learn; but, he is also learning that some things are simply off limits.  When he goes to climb (yes, he's already figure out if he stacks stuff or gets his little chair, he can reach so much more!) or touch a "no-no", I tell him no and move him away two times.  On the third attempt, I put him in his bed.  He understands.  He has already begun "sneaking" and turning around to check if I see him and if so, what I am going to do about it.  It is at this time I must be consistent; and now is the time to do it.  I am afraid I was not so consistent with Beauty at this age, and boy did we both pay for it later!

What tickles me is now he is taking to throwing tantrums.  If I catch him with a no-no, like the TV remote or something that is potentially dangerous, I of course take it away.  Naturally he verbally objects, but then he'll turn to walk away-still whining-and pretend to fall.  Down he goes onto the floor and proceeds to scream.  I continue with what I am doing and tell him he can be mad all he wants, but he can not have such and such.  Once he realizes his tantrum is having no affect on me, those tears miraculously dry up and he toddles off to discover what else he can play with.  Meanwhile, I am doing everything within my power to keep him from seeing me giggle.  He's just so cute! 

I know it is important that I train him now as to what is appropriate and acceptable behavior and so far he's a pretty good sport about it.
I am reminded of an episode of The Andy Griffith Show.  If you are a die-hard fan like we are, you can probably guess which one it is.  Here it is for your enjoyment! It's a little long-the part I am thinking of is at 4:05 if ya want to skip ahead.



No comments: