Tuesday, December 20, 2011

A Most Tragic Deception

A man Hubs knows hung himself on Saturday evening.  They had not spoken in years, but it was one of those relationships that do not break.  They were not close, but still bound to one another.  I cannot give any more details than that. 

The young man leaves behind two very young sons and a devastated family. No one saw it coming.  His mother found the suicide note just moments too late.  What ifs are fueling their grief.  My heart breaks for his mother, extended family and of course for the two boys and their mother.

Many emotions swell and toss about when I hear about a suicide.  Thankfully I have not experienced if first hand through a loved one of my own and I pray I never do.  But we all know someone who knows someone……

Mostly I cry at the tragedy of it all.  An eternal soul that is now on the other side, that has reached the point of no return.  All hope is gone. No do-overs. 

I realize how this sounds.  Like I am assuming he was lost.  That is not for me to determine.  Only God knows the condition of his heart and the circumstances leading to his final decision.  It is my sincere hope that he is indeed now at peace.

Still, I have to ask myself “What goes through a person’s mind to lead him to end his life and leave behind a family and two small boys?”  What lies had the enemy used to convince him this was the best and only solution?

What caused him to ignore God’s promise, “And the LORD, He is the One who goes before you. He will be with you, He will not leave you nor forsake you; do not fear nor be dismayed.”(Deuteronomy 31:8) and

“Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” 6 So we may boldly say: “ The LORD is my helper;
I will not fear. What can man do to me?” (Hebrews 31:5)  and instead believed there was no hope. 

I mentioned before that depression is something I have struggled with for years.  There have been days when I felt overwhelmed, when the enemy has whispered to me that “nothing will ever get better” and suggested I drive my car into a tree.  But those thoughts are immediately taken captive for Christ and I am reminded of His words in Matthew: “ 28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”  There is always Hope and Victory in Christ.  The cross shines through the shadows and we can live because He lives.

cross-of-jesusclick for image source

10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.  (John 10:10)

Dear ones, I pray that we all remember this Christmas, and always, to share the Good News to everyone we meet.  Let our lights so shine before men that they may see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)

No comments: